1. juni 2010

Thoughts of a soon to be done-exchange student

I saw this TV commercial the other day, and it said something like:
“it’s a curious thing that happens. It seems when we get to a place where no one knows us, we become most ourselves; trying new things, making new friends, laughing out loud, and dancing in the streets. It’s time to venture out! Who knows just who we might discover as we come alive.”

That was my dream. I didn’t feel ready for ‘gymnasium’ yet. I mean, my grades and stuff were fine, but mentally, I wanted a year out, a year to experience something new and put a new perspective on life.
Did it give me that one year I wanted? In some way. It gave me the year I wanted, but it was so amazing that I want to stay, I’m not ready to leave yet, and I don’t know if I will be, but at the same time I’m excited to start a new chapter of my life, and see everybody again, and did it live up to my expectations?
Yes. I tried not to have expectations, but there was the simplest things that you just don’t think about as expectations. Before I left, I thought of expectations as “I will make the basketball team,” “they will put me as a Senior,” “my host family will take me on vacation” etc. but I would’ve never classified expectations under what is normal to me, being in America; I just never thought like that. So did it meet my expectations, yes, overall I had an amazing year and that sure was my biggest expectation, but did I end up in the perfect family I though it was going to be at first, did I have somebody to sit with the first day at lunch, was I happy almost the whole time? No. It took a move to find an amazing family, and it took a stressed, confused moment to find somebody to sit with the first day, and no, it wasn’t all happiness, it definitely had hard times, but overall, it was a year I will never ever forget, and a year I really don’t want to leave yet.

I can't last here for long
I feel this current it's so strong
It gets me further down the line
It gets me closer to the light

All these little things in life
They all create this haze
There's too many things to get done
And I'm running out of days

Today, I have 25 days left in Mooresville, in Indiana, in the United States, and yes, indeed it is sad, but so far I have had the best summer vacation of my life, I’m pretty sure, and I’ll just do my very best to keep that and my good mood up, and not be sad now, for something that has yet to come.

Live on, live it up today
This life’s your cup
So drink it up I say, yeah
Say it’s mine so give it all up to me now
And walk that line, don’t let this go my friend

Let it be the best 25 days of the year, and let the happiness I have found in myself here continue when I get back. Lets make it the summer of our lives J
Mette

P.S. I apologize that all these posts are about leaving, about it being the end, over, but it’s true, and writing it all down helps me accept it all little bit, get the sadness out, and have the happiness left to enjoy J

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar

Hej, læg en kommentar, jeg skal nok prøve at svare :-)